Thursday, January 19, 2012

Oh, wow. Okay.

For the first time since its publication, I read I'm Stalking Jake! cover to cover this week.

I am extremely proud of the end product.  I'm proud of the work that I did with Jake Watch, and remain astonished at my luck in finding such a productive and complementary partner in Susie (britpopbaby).

And yet I also now understand why so many people have commented to me on the "honesty" of the book as a whole.  As I wrote it, I was concerned I may come off as too sanctimonious.  I see now that those fears were ungrounded; I did a remarkable job of leaving my character flaws prominently in place.

It made me laugh, it made me clench up in rage...it was surreal to acknowledge that the story that I was reading was the story of my own life.  And not only that, but the story of my life as written by me.  That being the case, I can't quite explain how it was that I stayed up past my bedtime three nights in a row because I was dying to know "what happened next."

Jake Watch wasn't just a blog.  It was an adventure.  And it was a work of art - living and breathing art - that swept me and so many other people up in its wake.  I comment at one point toward the end of the book that there was nothing like it on the internet.  And there wasn't; there still isn't, and I doubt there ever will be.

If you haven't yet read the book, I strongly encourage you to do so.  An endorsement from the author may seem like a conflict of interest, but I wrote the damn thing and I hadn't read it yet, either.   Not really.  Not from the perspective of a reader, rather than a writer.

And now that I have, the only thing that I can say is that I am so incredibly glad that I wrote it.  Wow.  What a ride...

17 comments:

S4M985 January 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I think everyone should read it too... now.

Miffed67 January 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Damn skippy! Job well done! Very well done, indeed!

Prophecy Girl January 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

(I'm just going to do a whole series of comments that are nothing more than emoticons. ;D)

Malin,  January 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I am too, very glad you wrote it!

solis,  January 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM

You did a fantastic job, and I think everyone should read this masterpiece.

I know, I already said it: I´m so grateful you wrote it.

Thanks again, Becky! For letting us be a part of your life!

BeautifulMess74 January 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM

You should be proud, Becky. The blogs are amazing, I've told you how damn funny I think they are. It's some of the best stuff I've ever read anywhere. I don't post often, but I hope you know that I am a huge fan.

X♥X♥,
Lorelai
@BeautifulMess74

Prophecy Girl January 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Thank you so much for all the kind comments. I keep not replying because I keep not knowing what to say. I'm just so happy that something I loved creating and writing about turned into something you all loved to read. :) Thank you!!

Becca,  February 10, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Check out this Jake Gyllanhaal look-alike! He's in a YouTube movie that kind of abit Fight Club and abit Inception. His HOT!!!

Anonymous,  February 27, 2012 at 2:15 AM

question.... if I'm going to nyc and i really really want to meet jake.... where do you think the best place to find him at would be so that i can meet him?

Anonymous,  April 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Anonymous,  May 29, 2013 at 7:08 AM

The articleice Machines introduces:This article about How To Buy Commercial Ice Machines For Restaurant,With the introduction of cutting edge and innovative technologies, a commercial ice machine is no longer a bulky device producing insanitation, consuming a lot ...

If you need more ice Machines infomation about How To Buy Commercial Ice Machines For Restaurant, Click here to find.

With the introduction of cutting ice Machines edge and innovative technologies, a commercial ice machine is no longer a bulky device producing insanitation, consuming a lot of energy, making noise, and taking a lot of time to make the needed supply of ice. As a result of high end technologies, commercial ice machines are able to achieve “being green” the highest levels of energy and water conservation. Now a commercial ice machine can easily produce from 65 pounds to 2,000 pounds of ice cubes in a day. You can find varied shapes of ice cubes such as dice, half dice, octagon, crushed, nugget, and flake.

Commercial ice machines are the standalone units,ice Machines designed to produce large quantities of ice for various commercial purposes. Once installed, these commercial ice makers are pretty automatic and do not need much attention from you or your staff. These factory-made machines consist of a condensing unit and ice-making section that operates as an integrated unit to make ice, an ice bin or a storage unit to store the created ice and a dispensing unit to dispense the ice out of the machine. Many automatic ice machines use moving water to create an improved quality of ice cubes. They work on the principle of “faster the water moves the better the ice quality becomes”. In this process, the air and un-dissolved solids get washed away. This results in pure and clear ice production.

Large amounts of ice are demanded for various purposes in many ice Machines commercial entities such as Restaurants, Bars, Ice Cream Parlors, Bakeries, Country Clubs and Golf Courses. A commercial ice machine is the perfect choice for such places as the large quantity of ice also needs to be a certain quality as well. Automatic commercial ice machines will make plenty of ice of equal size in a short span of time. All you need to do is just start the machine and set the required functions, and leave the rest up to the machine. You will get good quantity of quality ice in a short amount of time. In addition, many commercial ice machines come with a self cleaning function. This will help maintain the quality and quantity if the produced ice while decreasing the time that you and or your staff must spend with the machine.

Keep in mind that there are two varieties of ice machines: air cooled and waterice Machines cooled. Air cooled ice machines use air to disperse the heat, whereas water cooled ice machine uses water to do the same function. Air cooled ice machines use more energy and also are much noisier than water cooled ice machines. However, they are more affordable than water cooled ice machines.

An assorted collection of wonderful, fast and energy efficient commercial ice makers are readilyice Machines available in the market. Various renowned and reliable manufacturers have come up with their unique range of these amazing machines. Numerous models that create different types and sizes of ice are available in the local and online market. A competitive urge of creating more efficient and cost effective ice machines, has left the customers and consumers with a distinctive variety of these units in which to choose.

VC March 20, 2014 at 5:48 AM

Hey Becky, I know this is really, really, really late in the game but I just wanted to say that I love your writing. The fact that you were able to publish a book about this type of thing has really inspired me as well. In fact, it was part of the reason I started blogging again after about 10 years of believing that I shouldn't blog again. :)

I'm a little Jake crazy, of course, and so I'm going to do a stack of movie reviews about Jake's backlog of movies. (I mean, who *wouldn't* want to read a bunch of reviews about films that they don't quite remember or never knew existed in the first place? I'm going to create that blog right now, to target that non-existent market. ;)

Love your sense of humour, too.

Greetings from Australia,