Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New York Magazine Gets Obsessive-Compulsive About the Love & Other Drugs Poster

New York magazine apparently did not get the message that we are going through a period of JAKE APATHY right now.

You know?  Because there's nothing going on?  And all the news is rehashed stuff?  And we haven't seen Jake for weeks (although in times past it's been months, so actually we're not that bad off in that particular department)?

We're hunkering down, reading without caring, going on with our lives until things get interesting and then we'll all give a damn again.

And through it all we are being PUT TO SHAME by New York magazine, which is just completely freaking the freak out over the Love & Other Drugs poster and the mysteriousness of Jake covering his mouth with his hand.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN.

Below is the high-quality version of the poster (which is clickable):

And below this is the high-quality discussion of it that New York came up with (my commentary is in blue):

"What is going on?  Is Jake trying not to laugh?  His eyes aren't smiling.  [Actually, I could see the argument for his eyes being "mirthful."]  Is he surprised?  He doesn't look it, and besides, what's he surprised about?  That a photographer showed up in his bedroom?  [Ha ha, this joke is so lame.]  Is he making the universal sign for "speak no evil"?  Again, why?  The poster doesn’t convey enough information about his character, or his relationship, for us to think he has a problem running his mouth.  [Looks like someone hasn't watched the trailer...]  Meanwhile, why is Hathaway so contentedly oblivious to whatever inner turmoil is going on with Jake and his mouth?  [Probably because she doesn't care.  She just slept with Jake Gyllenhaal.]  He's not the one with a serious illness!  [Spoiler alert!]  She is!  Is her illness the subtext of Jake's gesture?  Like, don't ask Jake Gyllenhaal if this is a movie about Parkinson's disease or sex, because he won't tell you?  He can keep a secret!  [Can he?!]  This movie can keep a secret!  The secret being, maybe it's not just a sex-forward romantic comedy?  Woah.  [I believe that's "whoa."]  Clearly, we have now spent more than a reasonable amount of time pondering the meaning of this poster, and are not sure we have arrived at a satisfactory explanation.  [You haven't and you haven't.]  Can you help?  [No.]"

On the upside, if a legitimate (?) news organization can wring that much analysis out of a single poster, then hell, there may be hope for this movie yet!

On the downside, NEW YORK MAGAZINE is out-stalking us at the moment.  It is a sad day in the life of my restraining order...

24 comments:

Sophie,  September 15, 2010 at 12:12 PM

PG!! you are so fuuny i love your comments!!

Vanessa September 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Hah, I totally second that, Sophie! I am supposed to be actually working, but no, I am over here LMFAO over this (once again) hilarious post by the one & only PROPHECY GIRL!

& what a great job you did, PG, with your excellent replies to their inane questions.

Beep, Perfect Score, GOLD STAR!!! >;-P

CigarattesAndCoffee September 15, 2010 at 2:07 PM

^^^ I second everything they said, basically. :)

sherry September 15, 2010 at 2:49 PM

i love your sense of humor...can't wait to read your book... :)

S4M985 September 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Does it really matter that much? I cant understand why people are going crazy over this... its just a poster, and he probably just randomly did that move and they thought "this ones cute, lets use it!"

S4M985 September 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM

or OR

They did it on purpose, told him to make some strange position so that people all over the world would try and work out why = publicity.

Prophecy Girl September 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I really thought this post was crap, so I'm more happy than usual that it was entertaining. :)

Sherry, I can't wait until you read the book, either!! The reviews are slowly coming in, and I'm loving hearing what everyone thinks. :D

And Sam, you might be on to something! Really, it never crossed my mind that there was anything weird about Jake's hand over his mouth, but since I'm guaranteed to see it anyway, I probably wasn't the audience they were targeting. :D Maybe that *was* a ploy for people to be intrigued...and if so, JOB WELL DONE.

Katie,  September 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM

PG! How can you seriously think that post was crap? I seriously thought I was a good writer until I started reading this blog...

Truly beep! Perfect score, gold star!!

Prophecy Girl September 16, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Aw, thank you, Katie! I've had this horrible muscle spasm in my back for the past few days and yesterday was THE WORST. I hadn't slept in two nights and I had no idea what I going to post about...but apparently I've been doing this long enough that I can get by on going on autopilot sometimes! :D This morning, I can't even remember what I wrote for this post. HA!

Call Me Mo September 17, 2010 at 3:38 PM

The comments on that article are better than the actual article. I love when that happens.

co wendy January 1, 2015 at 4:45 AM

F1 Japanese Grand Prix at the French Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags driver suffered serious head injuries ugg australia Jules - Bianchi already breathing on his own, but he did not recover ugg pas cher consciousness. Yesterday, the Bianchi family released Discount Louis Vuitton the above message."The difficulty of this year will soon be over, and we would like to take this opportunity to update the Cheap LV Handbags injury situation Jules again, telling those who care about his Christian Louboutin Bois Dore fans," Bianchi's family wrote in a statement."Last month, we are very pleased that we Bags Louis Vuitton are able to Jules back discount christian louboutin home in ugg soldes France, cheap jordans so that friends and family around him christian louboutin shoes to continue his recovery, which he is very important for us also.""Jules neurological status did not change, he was unconscious, but has been able to breathe without ugg boots the help of an external device, we have christian louboutin remise 50% taken many measures to help him recover properly. We wholesale jordan shoes know he will, medical professionals have begun According to the plan to help him, but the process is very hard. ""When we uggs on sale look back on the event discount nike jordans happened in the past few months, we would like once again to cheap christian louboutin the outside world for the Discount LV Handbags care of ugg our son thanked this matter to our families brought christian louboutin great challenges, but we know Air Jordan 11 Gamma Blue that there are so many people in uggs outlet the world around Christian Louboutin Daffodile to help us through. We also want to thank our family during this time to bring cheap nike jordan shoes support for the media, for which we are very grateful.